Who should I include on my application for financial assistance?

Who you should include on your application is based on your tax household – you (the taxpayer), your spouse/partner (if you file taxes jointly), and whoever is claimed as a dependent on your tax return. All individuals who fit these criteria should be included whether or not they have taxable income and whether or not they are applying for health insurance. You will be able to select different plans for each member of the household. Non-custodial parent can file a separate application if they claim child as dependent. If you are a couple who doesn’t file taxes together, you do not need to submit two applications. If you want to enroll in a plan together (for example, if you are in a domestic partnership with someone who you do not file taxes with but you want to enroll in a health plan together), you will need to fill out one application. Also, you can include children whom you do not claim as a tax dependent on the application, but depending on how you enter the information in the application, the non-tax dependent child will be denied Advance Premium Tax Credits (APTC)/Cost-Sharing Reductions (CSR)/Qualified Health Plans/Colorado Young Adult Plans on the application. If the parent who is claiming the child would like to seek coverage for that child, the other parent will need to fill out an application including the child whom is their tax dependent. In order to be eligible for advanced premium tax credits, married couples must file taxes jointly. If you are a victim of domestic violence, you will be eligible for advanced premium tax credits even if you are married and filing separately. This is referred to as “exceptional circumstances.” If a customer who fits this description is denied for APTC/CSR, they will need to call our Customer Service Center who can work through updating their account to get them approved for APTC/CSR. There is no verification necessary for “exceptional circumstances.” We take client attestation. The tax filing status should be “head of household”. Information about tax households, the definition of a dependent, and other tax filing topics can be found on the IRS website.

Related FAQs:
Am I eligible for subsidies (financial assistance) to help pay for health insurance?
When do I report changes to Connect for Health Colorado?
Are there certain documents or information I need to fill out an application, and how do I submit them?
What income should I include on my application for financial assistance?