Right now! Coloradans can shop for health insurance plans for 2020 right now. Open enrollment is from Nov 1, 2019 to Jan 15, 2020. Sign up by Dec 15th for coverage that starts in 2020. Financial help to lower your monthly premiums is available for Coloradans with qualifying incomes.
When you can sign up
Almost all Coloradans can buy health insurance during the Open Enrollment period, which is between Friday, November 1, 2019 and Wednesday, January 15, 2020.
Coloradans who experience a Qualifying Life Change Event, during or outside of the Open Enrollment Period, have a 60-day window to buy or change plans. This is known as a Special Enrollment Period.
Life change events include but are not limited to:
Family additions or changes
- Birth of a baby, adoption of a child or placement of a child for foster care
- Getting married
- Death of a household member enrolled in a plan through Connect for Health Colorado
Loss of health insurance coverage
- You lost of job-based coverage
- You no longer qualify for Health First Colorado (Colorado’s Medicaid program)
- You no longer qualify for Medicare Part A
- You are turning 26 and aging off your parent’s plan
- Your student health plan ended
Move or change in permanent residence
- Move to Colorado
- Move to a new permanent address- certain conditions apply
- Leaving incarceration
- Gain of lawful presence (i.e. legally living in the United States according to federal immigration laws)
Changes to income (for current enrollees only)
- Changes in your income that affect the amount of Cost-Sharing Reductions (lower out-of-pocket costs) you qualify for
- Changes in your income that make you newly qualify for Premium Tax Credit (lower monthly costs)
- Changes in your income that make you no longer qualify for the Premium Tax Credit (lower monthly costs)
Proof of your Qualifying Life Change Event
After you sign up for a plan during your Special Enrollment period, your health insurance company may ask you to show proof of the Qualifying Life Change Event.
Special Enrollment for members of federally-recognized tribes
Members of federally-recognized tribes (and their household members on the same application) can change plans or sign up for a new plan once per month.