If you have a qualifying event, you can get covered through a Special Enrollment Period.

The next Open Enrollment Period, during which almost all Coloradans can buy health insurance, begins on November 1 and goes through January 15. Outside of Open Enrollment, you must experience a qualifying life change event in order to enroll in health coverage.

See if you can enroll through a Special Enrollment Period

Icon Number 1Life Happens

You can still buy health insurance (or make changes to your current plan) year-round if you experience certain changes in your life, including losing your job’s health insurance, changes in your income, moving, getting married and having a baby. Qualifying life change events, like these and more, make you eligible for a 60-day Special Enrollment Period. See the full list of qualifying life events »

Icon Number 1Tax Time Enrollment Program

You can connect to free or low-cost health insurance and qualify for a Special Enrollment Period by checking a box when you file your Colorado state taxes by April 15th. Learn more »

Icon Number 1Health First Colorado (Colorado’s Medicaid program) or the Child Health Plan Plus (CHP+) program

Apply and enroll in coverage any time of year when you meet specific monthly income requirements. Learn more »

Icon Number 1Native Americans

Members of Federally recognized tribes can enroll in health insurance year-round. Learn more »

Life Happens. Life change events include but are not limited to: 

Family additions or changes

  • Birth of a baby, adoption of a child or placement of a child for foster care
  • Certification of pregnancy by a health care provider
  • Getting married or divorced
  • Death of a household member enrolled in a plan through Connect for Health Colorado

Loss of health insurance coverage

  • You lost health insurance from your job
  • You no longer qualify for Health First Colorado (Colorado’s Medicaid program) 
  • You no longer qualify for Medicare Part A
  • You are turning 26 and aging off your parent’s plan
  • Your student health plan ended
  • Loss of COBRA subsidy

Move or change in permanent residence

  • Move to Colorado
  • Move to a new permanent address- certain conditions apply  
  • Leaving incarceration
  • Gain of lawful presence (i.e. legally living in the United States according to federal immigration laws)

Changes to income

For current enrollees only:

  • Changes in your income that affect the amount of Cost-Sharing Reductions (lower out-of-pocket costs) you qualify for
  • Changes in your income that make you newly qualify for Premium Tax Credit (lower monthly costs)
  • Changes in your income that make you no longer qualify for the Premium Tax Credit (lower monthly costs)

For new customers only:

  • Your household’s income is at or below 150 percent of the federal poverty level ($21,870/year for an individual, $45,000/year for a family of four)

Report changes in your household

Report changes in your household size, income, or address within 30 days of the change. We will let you know if you qualify for a Special Enrollment Period as soon as you submit your application.

Proof of your Qualifying Life Change Event

After you sign up for a plan during your Special Enrollment period, your health insurance company may ask you to show proof of the Qualifying Life Change Event.

Here is a guide on how to verify your special enrollment period »