To help you find the plan that’s right for you, consider more than just a plan’s monthly premium. Use these questions to help you understand which insurance option is right for you and your family’s health needs.
If you are healthy and rarely go to the doctor, a Bronze plan with a lower monthly premium and higher costs when you receive care might be a good fit for you.
If you or your family have medical conditions, then you may save money by selecting a Gold plan that has a higher monthly premium but pays more of your medical costs.
Want to know more? Learn about the Health Plan Categories »
Health insurance plans vary on which medications they cover and how much they will charge. Each insurance company has a list of prescriptions they cover (called a formulary or drug list) on their website. Whether you pay a copay or you have to pay full price for a drug will depend on which plan you choose.
Find plans that cover your medication Use our Quick Cost & Plan Finder »
Health insurance plans, even different plans sold by the same insurance company, can vary on which doctors, hospitals and pharmacies are included. Buying a plan where your doctor is covered (in network) will save you money, as most plans won’t cover anything if you go out of network.
Find plans that cover your doctor Use our Quick Cost & Plan Finder »
Make a note of what medical services you and your family routinely use. Then, when you are comparing plans, find and read the Summary of Benefits and Coverage (SBC) to ensure the services you need are covered and get an idea of how much you’ll pay.
Remember, all plans sold through Connect for Health Colorado are required to cover a full package of benefits, but there can be differences between plans.
Learn what is included with all health insurance plans we offer Understand Health Services Covered »
What matters the most to you?
Here’s a list of things to consider when choosing a plan that works for you:
|Things to consider when choosing a plan|
|Referral required to see a specialist||vs||Can see a specialist without a referral|
|20% coinsurance (Percentage of the bill you pay)||vs||50% coinsurance|
|Copays from the beginning||vs||Pay full cost until you reach the deductible|
|Low premium with high costs for care||vs||High premium with low costs for care|
|Your doctor covered||vs||Finding a new doctor|
Keep in Mind
- Networks can change from plan to plan. If your doctor is in network (covered) by one health insurance company’s plan, do NOT assume that they are covered by ALL plans offered by that insurance company.
- Generic medications can save you money. Generic medications cost less than brand name drugs and are typically covered by a larger number of health plans. Choosing generic medications gives you more options to pick from. Ask your doctor if a generic is right for you.
- Insurance companies can change which medications or doctors they cover at any time. We recommend confirming coverage with the insurance company before you buy.
We can help
Certified enrollment professionals are available to walk you through the application process and help you choose a plan.
Might I save some money?
You may be able to get more savings on health insurance coverage due to the American Rescue Plan, also known as the “COVID relief package.” Under the new law:
- More people than ever before qualify for help paying for health insurance, even those who weren’t eligible in the past because of their income.
- Most people currently enrolled in a plan through Connect for Health Colorado may qualify for more tax credits.
- Anyone who has received unemployment benefits for at least one week in 2021 may qualify for $0 health insurance premium options.
Quickly see if you might qualify for financial help Use our Quick Cost & Plan Finder »
Get ready to apply worksheet
Use this worksheet to help you gather important details and think through key factors that will guide your buying decision. Refer to your answers as you compare plans online or bring this along when you visit with an enrollment assister or insurance broker who can walk you through the process in-person for free.