When Can I Buy Insurance?
This year, Open Enrollment is from November 1, 2018 through January 15, 2019. This is the time to purchase health insurance for 2019. After January 15, Coloradans may be able to purchase 2019 health insurance under certain scenarios. Getting married, moving, having a baby, and losing employer-sponsored coverage are some of the more common scenarios. Here are some other scenarios or Life Change Events that may qualify you for a Special Enrollment Period.
2019 coverage begins
Life change events
After January 15, 2019 you will only be allowed to shop for a new health plan if you have a qualifying Life Change Event and apply for new coverage within 60 days of that event. In some scenarios, you may be able to report the Life Change Event before the event happens and avoid a gap in coverage.
Qualifying Life Change Events include but are not limited to:
- Birth of a baby, adoption of a child or placement of a child for foster care
- Getting married
- Move to a new permanent address in your state – certain conditions apply
- Changes in your income that affect the financial help you qualify for
- Change of tribal status
- Gain of lawful presence
- Leaving incarceration
- Change of dependency status of someone on your plan
- Death of a covered member of your household
- Turning 26 and aging off your parent’s plan
- Starting/ending AmeriCorps service
- Incorrectly or inappropriately enrolled in a health plan due to an error or omission on the part of Connect for Health Colorado or someone working in an official capacity to help you enroll
- Violation of the contract you had with your health insurance carrier
- Loss of an exemption to purchase health insurance coverage
- Change in affordability of employer-sponsored insurance
- Loss of minimum essential coverage
If you experienced any of the above, you may qualify for a Special Enrollment Period and be permitted to enroll outside of the Open Enrollment Period. If you think you qualify for a Special Enrollment Period, please contact our Customer Service Center as soon as possible to avoid a gap in coverage.
Your health insurance company may ask you to document the Life Change Event that qualifies you for a Special Enrollment Period. Here is a guide to the process.Get in-person help Compare plans & prices