When Can I Buy?
Right now! We are currently in the Open Enrollment Period – the one window of time each year in which Coloradans applying for private health insurance are allowed to shop for a new plan, without a qualifying Life Change Event. To ensure your coverage starts January 1, 2018, be sure to buy your plan before December 15, 2017.
Life Change Events
After January 12th, 2018 you will only be allowed to shop for a new health plan if you have a qualifying Life Change Event and apply for new coverage within 60 days of that event.
Qualifying Life Change Events include but are not limited to:
- Birth of a baby, adoption of a child or placement of a child for foster care
- Change in marital status
- Move to a new permanent address in your state
- Changes in your income that affect the financial assistance you qualify for
- Change of tribal status
- Become a U.S. citizen
- Leaving incarceration
- Change of dependency status of someone on your plan
- Death of a covered member of your household
- Turning 26 and aging off your parent’s plan
- Starting/ending AmeriCorps service
- Incorrectly or inappropriately enrolled in a health plan for some reason that is not due to an error or omission on the part of Connect for Health Colorado
- Violation of the contract you had with your health insurance carrier
- Loss of an exemption to purchase health insurance coverage
- Change in affordability of employer-sponsored insurance
- Loss of minimum essential coverage
If you experienced any of the above, you may qualify for a Special Enrollment Period and be permitted to enroll outside of the Open Enrollment Period. If you think you qualify for a Special Enrollment Period, please contact our Customer Service Center as soon as possible to avoid a gap in coverage.
Your health insurance company may ask you to document the Life Change Event that qualifies you for a Special Enrollment Period. Here is a guide to the process.Worried about Your Coverage for 2018? Get the Latest on the Future of Health Coverage Talk to an Expert for Free Compare Plans