Your health insurance coverage will continue to provide benefits through the end of 2014 as long as you pay your monthly premium. There are certain changes you can make to your coverage through our Marketplace, including adding or removing a dependent or reviewing your financial assistance, and applying for Medicaid or Child Health Plan Plus (CHP+).

Situations that may allow you to shop for a new plan or change an existing plan Situations that may allow you to make changes to your existing coverage
  • You got married or were legally united through a civil union or domestic partnership
  • Your family grew through birth or adoption
  • Your tribal status changed
  • Your legal residence changed
  • You were incorrectly or inappropriately enrolled in a health plan for some reason that is not due to an error or omission on your part
  • Your income changed enough to impact your eligibility or amount of financial assistance
  • Your health insurance carrier violated its contract with you
  • Your household size has gotten smaller
  • One of your dependents is no longer eligible for coverage under your health insurance plan because he/she is turning or has turned 26

If you would like to make any of these changes, call the Customer Service Center at 855-PLANS-4-YOU (855-752-6749). We can make certain changes right away. Others, we will help coordinated with your carrier.

If you are enrolled in Medicaid or CHP+, or you have an income or household change that could make you eligible for these programs, you may need to contact the State of Colorado. If you or a member of your family is currently enrolled in Medicaid or CHP+, please report changes through PEAK:

  • Log on to
    • select ‘Manage my Account’
    • select ‘Report my changes’
  • You can also call the Medicaid Call Center at 1-800-221-3943.