Who should I include on my application for financial assistance?

Tax Dependents

  • In general, who you should include on your application is based on your tax household – you (the taxpayer), your spouse/partner (if you file taxes jointly), and whoever is claimed as a dependent on your tax return. All individuals who fit these criteria should be included whether or not they have taxable income and whether or not they are applying for health insurance. You will be able to select different plans for each member of the household.

Adult Children Up to Age 26

  • Even if you no longer claim your adult child on your tax return, you can include them on your application and enroll them in your family health insurance plan. You will want to provide their address, income, and tax filing status on the application, which means they may qualify for different financial help programs, or a different amount, than the rest of the household. However, you will have the chance to buy a plan together when you begin shopping.

Other Circumstances

  • If you are a couple who doesn’t file taxes together and wants to buy a health insurance plan together, you do not need to submit two applications. For example, if you are in a domestic partnership with someone who you do not file taxes with but you want to enroll in a health plan together.
  • If the parent who is claiming the child would like to seek coverage for that child, the other parent will need to fill out an application including the child whom is their tax dependent.

Victims of Domestic Violence and/or Spousal Abandonment

  • If you are a victim of domestic violence and/or spousal abandonment, you will be eligible for Premium Tax Credits even if you are married and filing separately. This is referred to as “exceptional circumstances.”
  • If this description matches your circumstances and you have been denied financial help, please contact our Client Service Center. They can make changes to your account so you are approved for financial help. There is no verification necessary for “exceptional circumstances”- we take your attestation.

More Resources

Information about tax households, the definition of a dependent, and other tax filing topics can be found on the IRS website.