Coloradans can buy health insurance for 2014 as a new customer if they have a special circumstance, known as a qualifying life event, which include the below situations. Those eligible for Medicaid or Child Health Plan Plus can enroll any time of the year.
Below are other circumstances that will allow you to purchase health insurance:
- Your employer-sponsored insurance becomes unaffordable. Learn more about how to determine affordability.
- You gain citizenship or legal immigration status
- You were released from prison/jail
- You lost eligibility for the exemption to purchase health insurance coverage
- You show that your existing health plan has substantially violated a provision of its contract
If you believe you are eligible to shop based on one of these circumstances, submit this form to start shopping. If you’re not sure or have questions, please call us at 855-PLANS-4-YOU (855-752-6749).
Open Enrollment, the time when you can shop for 2015 coverage, begins November 15. For 2015, we’re excited to be able to offer 176 health plans available for individuals and families! Having so many options is great news for Coloradans, but with so many choices, it’s important to compare and take into consideration more than just premiums. For example:
- Lower premiums often mean higher costs when receiving care. Find out how much the deductible is, as well as the out-of-pocket maximum. Determine what you would have to pay for a doctor’s visit.
- Find out about prescription coverage, especially if you need specific medications.
- Does your plan cover procedures you may need some day, such as back surgery, ambulance service, MRI scans or knee replacements?
Preview plans and prices using our Plan Finder Tool (make sure to select 2015 as your coverage year). You can use our Tax Credit Estimator to see if you might be eligible for a premium tax credit to reduce your monthly payments. Enter your information to get an estimate of your potential savings. This is an anonymous tool and not an official determination of benefits. Make a note of these details so you can save this information to your account when you start the enrollment process.