Advancing Technology to Improve the Customer Experience
Updated May 16, 2018
Connect for Health Colorado is making major improvements to the way Coloradans apply for financial help (Advance Premium Tax Credits and Cost-Sharing Reductions) to lower their health insurance costs. This new system will be funded, developed and maintained entirely by Connect for Health Colorado and ready for the next Open Enrollment Period, which begins November 1, 2018.
Why We are Making Changes:
- To streamline the customer experience.
- To continue to meet federal compliance obligations.
- To control system enhancements and to add speed and flexibility to troubleshooting.
What is Changing:
- We will simplify the eligibility application for the Advance Premium Tax Credit and Cost Sharing Reduction programs.
- Pages and flows will be developed with guidance from user experience experts.
- Duplicate questions and unnecessary data requests will be removed.
- The number of real-time eligibility determinations and real-time verification requests will increase.
- All Marketplace program eligibility notices will be sent from Connect for Health Colorado. Noticing for Marketplace programs will no longer be sent from the Colorado Benefits Management System (CBMS), including Notice of Actions and Verification Check Lists.
- County workers will be able to see in CBMS whether an applicant is within the eligibility range for Advance Premium Tax Credits. Applicants who are within that range will be referred to Connect for Health Colorado for a determination of what level of benefits they qualify for.
What is Not Changing:
- Connect for Health Colorado’s shopping platform.
- Eligibility rules and guidelines.
- How individuals apply for Health First Colorado (Colorado’s Medicaid Program) and other state and federal assistance programs.
- Mixed eligibility households will still report all changes and do their annual redetermination through Program Eligibility and Application Kit (PEAK), the online application for Health First Colorado and other state assistance programs. Connect for Health Colorado’s Medical Assistance (MA) Site will provide support for case maintenance on Advanced Premium Tax Credit/Cost Sharing Reduction-only and mixed eligibility households.
- Notices for Health First Colorado and the Child Health Plan Plus will continue to be sent from CBMS.
- Individuals whose application information is verified with Health First Colorado will not need to provide those same verifications to Connect for Health Colorado, reducing the need to enter information multiple times.
No Wrong Door
Rest assured, Connect for Health Colorado remains committed to helping all Coloradans access health coverage and any assistance for which they are eligible. We continue our close partnership with Health First Colorado to ensure that individuals who qualify are directed to PEAK.
Similarly, individuals who apply for Health First Colorado and are found to be over that program’s eligibility level will be directed to our new application. This “No Wrong Door” policy is in keeping with our mission to increase access, affordability and choice for individuals purchasing health insurance in Colorado.
Connect for Health Colorado welcomes input in developing our new eligibility system. You can provide your comments, observations or suggestions to [email protected].